Thursday, November 1, 2007

NaNoWriMo- Day One

I worked on my first work, C, straight into the wee hours of day one of NaNoWriMo. I figured I had all day to work on books three and four. But what happened was that I spent the entire day (currently 45 mins to midnight- the blog time settings are currently incorrect) continuing to work on book one. This time, from the beginning almost up to the point I read from yesterday (prologue to chapter eleven). Four more chapters in between them to go through though, as well as some heavy editing on the large section I read yesterday.
I did some mildly aggressive editing with the first group, cutting out nearly five thousand words, and I realized the story was probably better without the prologue, and that I should cut that out too, or maybe find some way to weave some of it into the bulk of the story. In any case, the story is now so much better, I would no longer be as embarrassed if someone were to find it in its current condition.
The problem of course is that it has distracted me from my NaNoWriMo mission. I started to write a new scene for it and I'm currently 264 words into that. And I still have to complete the final chapter. But this is book one- I'm not supposed to be working on it! But I figured I better strike while the iron's hot, right? I suppose I'll count whatever I write for it today for NaNoWriMo which is currently not even close to enough.
It is now forty minutes to midnight so I technically have that time to get about 1400 more words in to successfully meet the 1667 word quota for the day. So what am I doing here right? Okay, I'm about to leave, but I don't plan to go to bed for at least another two hours in which time I think I can make the quota and still be on track for the next day.
So adios! Thirty-five minutes...

ETA- Made it to a little over a thousand words by midnight! I'm doing just fine, although a little behind. Like I said, I'll be up for a while.

ETA2- Ok it's 3 AM on 11/02 and I've written a total of 1747 words. They were all for C though- I managed to go through chapters twelve to fifteen, editing, adding. Boy, these novels like to surprise me and take their own course sometimes...

No comments: