Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On your mark...

So the big day is tomorrow (NaNoWriMo begins) and what it seems is going to happen is this: I will end up writing books three and four simultaneously. Although I was on a roll with PN, I slowed things down when I stopped paying attention to it so I'm not being bombarded by words anymore. Perhaps that will change once I start working on it again, I don't know, but what I do know is this: ES is still nudging me, i.e., I'm still getting material for it.
I think what I'm about to do might be against the official rules, as I believe we are to work on a single work over the month of November, but I don't mind changing things up a bit; in fact, this adds to the challenge for me because I have to be open to so many different voices while keeping the main voice of each book separate. They're both in first person too (although one is first person, multiple POV and the other is first person, single POV). This is the first time I'm writing a book in first person, as my first two were third person, multiple POV (although I've considered changing the very first one to first person).

Oh, I read some of my first novel last night and I realized that it's really not as bad as I thought it was- at least, not the parts I read (chapters mid-fifteen to thirty). I also realized that I need to cut at least two of the early chapters- maybe three- because there's an unnecessary melodramatic event that occurs and I believe it is the major reason I felt the whole thing sucked. In addition, I need to adjust a major aspect of the story (one of the crimes that took place). Basically, in re-reading some of the story, I realized that it's not hopeless- I can work with it and no longer dread doing so. However, one aspect of it does tremendously resemble PN (book four) but I think I can make a conscious effort to differentiate them further. In any case, I don't think it will matter in the end because what happens around the familiar aspect is so different, the stories maintain distinct identities. Wow, I'm excited about the first one all over again.

The funny thing is, with books one and two, the main problem is that they have incomplete final chapters- I have trouble ending them. I wonder what will happen with the next two?

No comments: