Monday, November 19, 2007

NaNoWriMo- Day Nineteen

Well, I reached over 30k as I was supposed to yesterday. I'm right on track, and as a result, it looks like I won't finish early like I did last year when I was not only on track but kept above the requirements pretty much every day and reached 50k on the 24th. So this year it might be a close shave unless I happen to write double the minimum every day henceforth, in which case I would finish this Sunday (25th). But somehow I doubt I will do that although I've had oodles of time on my hands for the past few days, lots of time today and it looks like I'll have a lot of time on my hands tomorrow. I guess I will try to maximize tomorrow's time because there is really no reason for me to be barely hanging on like this.
But another thing that's different from last year is that last year, I had a plan. I knew the story, I knew where I wanted it to go for the most part, and I plotted and outlined it beforehand so every day, I knew what I wanted and needed to write; chapters were planned out. As a result, I ended up writing in a linear fashion.
This year, I had a simple idea for one to begin with, and instead of plotting it out as I had planned to do to see if I would go with one idea or the next, I ended up writing over 6000 words of story for it before NaNoWriMo even started. I wouldn't say I burned myself out before I began, but I certainly took a chunk out of the amount that counts for NNWM. Plus, I still haven't plotted or outlined it- I'm still winging it at this point and jumping all over the place when it comes to scenes and characters. I'm considering actually sitting down and coming up with a plan though, regardless of the fact that I'm still doing just fine without it. I just feel like I want something new and exciting to happen; the twists I came up with weeks ago and integrated have grown stale to me. Something else needs to be thrown in the mix. I might have to interview the characters soon.
I just realized I was speaking as if I am writing for one book! Well, yes, I was referring to book 4 (PN) all this time and that's because it's the one I mostly write for. But yes, I do still write bits and pieces for book 3 (ES) and I'm still counting every new piece I write for any of the books for NNWM. Sometimes I feel a strong urge to abandon new words for 3 & 4 and just work on editing and polishing book 1. But that can wait I guess. Only about a week and a half of this left.

No comments: