I've been thinking about the story idea that popped up recently (the one competing with the story I was almost certain I would write this November) and today at work, while we were on a long break, I managed to write a couple of pages of the story. More than that, what began as a rather empty storyline with me wondering where on earth I could take it to beef it up and make it interesting, ended up rather convoluted and a bit twisted. As usual, ideas 'came out of nowhere' once the ball started rolling. I don't even know why I ever fear beginning a story when I don't have a solid idea as to where it's going or many ideas at all about it because my experience has consistently been that once I start, the rest follows. The story and the characters end up surprising me, and I find myself marveling at how quickly nothing turns into something. And boy did this one turn out to be something.
However, I always get excited about my ideas and stories initially and think they're great and manage to maintain that excitement throughout writing it and straight to the near-end, but I also usually get bored with them by the time they wind down to the last chapter, and at some point, I no longer think they're 'all that.' I fear that this will happen again and that once written, this story won't mean much to me beyond the fact that it would be my third (or fourth) book written.
Speaking of third or fourth, what I wrote today cannot be included in the NaNoWriMo word count since November 1st hasn't arrived yet, so I would still have to do 50,000 new words over the course of November. What all this means is that there is actually a high chance this story has taken over the supposed 'sure thing' I had planned after all. Major plot points came to me today and I can see where it's going- almost to the end in fact.
I'm on a roll.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment