Tuesday, November 24, 2009

NaNoWriMo 2009- Day 24

By this time, in my first and third NaNo years- 2006 and 2008- I was finished with my NaNoWriMo challenge, had passed 50k words.

Right now, I am more behind than I've ever been. The last time I was on track was on day nine at 15k words. I've fallen behind since; in fact, I am currently about a week behind- at a mere 30k. I'm pretty much out of ideas, my characters aren't moving, there is no real plot.
I have an idea of themes, things I want to address, lots of input from my personal life which is the problem and perhaps the solution. It began as a story of fiction- it's a novel-writing month after all. But with all my personal input, it's telling me it's a memoir and I have struggled against it, reluctantly accepting it.
I currently feel like I don't have enough to take me to 50k and am currently considering writing words for another work- pretty much repeating what I did in 2007 where I didn't make the 50k deadline, working on two different novels...or something. And now this year, I had decided to continue working on the one I hadn't done much work on then, and now, find myself in a similar position- on a losing track.

Of course I'm still at a point where I can save this year's NaNo- 6 more days after all, a little less than 20k more words. I would have to do something like 3300 words a day every day until 11:59pm, November 30th. I know that's not particularly difficult- can be done in under 3 hours. If I only knew what the hell to write! Every time I get a starting point now it dries up in under 300 words it seems.
Still, I won't say I'm doomed...yet.

No comments: