Sunday, May 3, 2009

More Shorts

I recently realized what I need to do to help me sell my novel is to submit- and hopefully get accepted- short stories to magazines, journals and the like. To get some credits in the publishing world.
I'm almost surprised it took me this long to come to this conclusion- it only seems natural. Here I was, going straight for the lead role when I should be earning trust through bit parts, featured, supporting roles. Getting the powers that be to notice and realize I'm not as much a risk as a newbie. I should have been treating this like the television/film industry!
So in the past two weeks or so, I've been working on a few short stories- one gleaned from the first novel I wrote (trunk-novel, but some good parts), one based on the first short film I wrote, the third an excerpt from the last NaNoWriMo project which was a collection of short stories anyway (so I basically have more than the blueprint for several already). Now it's time to polish them and send them off.
Amazing how it seems the most natural thing to do now. Do the short stories. Submit. And don't forget: read, read, read.

No comments: