It occurred to me last week that I needed to pull out a method I had used before (first novel) to add to this second novel and get closer to really being done with it: interview the characters. It might sound strange to "normal people," but some writers use this method of exploring the story and characters, including me. In fact, I can't remember if I came up with the idea by myself and discovered later that it is utilized by other writers or if I saw the suggestion somewhere. In any case, it helped me get to deeper motives, back-stories and learn more about character histories and relationships with each other the first time I employed it. My characters surprised me and really took on essences of their own. It was an interesting, learning experience.
So now it is time for me to do the same for this second story. I tried sometime last week to interview the main character but was unsuccessful. Perhaps I should start with a lesser character.
In any case, I need to do something; there is more to add. I'm not sure what, but hopefully it is juicy in some way or...whoa!- an idea just came to mind, a secret of one of the character's...
Oh my, now I know the theme of the interviews to get them all going!
Yes! I'm "back in business..."
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Found you through Absolute Write and I'm really enjoying your writing blog! I've got one too I've just started but I'm not fully submission ready yet...think some of those SYW threads might come in handy soon.
This is a great idea and something I hadn't labeled but I used to do also. I'm going to start doing this again - especially in anticipation of NaNoWriMo in November.
Post a Comment