Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Write1Sub1--Month 9: September

I managed to write 3 pieces for the month: 1) the story intended for the Fish Anthology but finished one day too late came in at around 2600 words, 2) an adaptation of an old animation feature idea of mine for Enchanted Conversation's Little Red Riding Hood theme which ended up clocking in at about 1600 words, and 3) a super-short around 340 words inspired by the Troy Davis debacle.

I ended up making a good chunk of the September deadlines I wanted to make:
- AW Anthology (which I subbed in August and which has gone on to the 2nd round)
- Penumbra: Sports/Games theme (which also made it to the 2nd round)
- Wily Writers: Lovecraftian Horror (subbed a sitting story last minute)
- On the Premises: Myths & Legends (subbed a sitting story last minute)
- Enchanted Conversation: LRRH (subbed the adaptation last minute)

I missed only 2 deadlines: NPR and BayCon--BayCon because I didn't want to tie up a story to vie for a single spot, NPR because the prompt simply didn't inspire me (although 2 ready-made pieces could have possibly been submitted. I'd rather submit them to traditional pubs though).

Total # of September submissions: 11.

I'm expecting a whole lot of responses in October. Seriously, a LOT--mostly the major ones I've been looking forward to for a while (such as TNY, GT, MoD). And especially since I managed to make my goal of having 20 stories out simultaneously on October 2nd.

By the way, I also made my 100th submission for 2011 on October 1st. No, couldn't wait 'til the October post to say it!

As for October deadlines I'm looking forward to writing new pieces for (already missed 2 due Oct 1st):

- Pedestal Magazine (due 10/14)
- Penumbra: Shakespeare (due 10/31)
- Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations (due 10/31)
- Evil Jester Press: Attic Toys (due 10/31)
- Borderlands Press: Darkly Imaginative fiction (10/31)

Looks like a pretty dark month--most with Halloween deadlines, most wanting dark tales.

Luckily, I already have an idea laid out for Pedestal (a story intended for a market that closed unexpectedly), and I'll probably submit an older piece to Borderlands. I just have to manage my time so I'm not scrambling near month's end to finish two of the remaining or having to choose just one to concentrate on!



No comments: