Sunday, May 1, 2011

Write1Sub1--Month 4: April

A successful month--particularly so. I was done with my W1S1 goal before the first week was done, submitting two newly written flash pieces by April 6th. At that rate, I thought I'd get at least 4 new pieces written and subbed by the end of the month and worked toward that goal, starting two new pieces--one of which is almost done, the other still waiting on some probably unnecessary research. I probably could have made it but was ruled by anxiety for the next 2-3 weeks--cricket season was in full force. I was so anxious waiting on market responses, I ended up working on older pieces and submitting like crazy. Seriously--I'd never imagined anything like it...not this soon anyway.
Now I've calmed down about the crickets even though I have 20 pieces still out (submitted a total of 30 pieces between hint fiction, flash fiction, short stories and poems).

The Breakdown
Of the 5 flash stories submitted this month (all still pending responses + 1 from Feb):
- 2 new (April 2011) pieces
- 1 newish (Jan 2011) piece
- 2 super old (2002) pieces

Of the 7 short stories submitted (all still pending responses):
- 3 newish (Jan-March 2011) pieces
- 3 older (2008-2010) revised/adjusted short story pieces
- 1 super old (2002) piece

Of the much shorter works:
- 16 poems (6 still pending responses, 1 acceptance so far--my first!)
- 2 hint-fic pieces (1 still pending response)

Actual total number of submissions between the 30 pieces: 38 (includes re-subs, sim-subs).
So yeah--pretty happy with this month's output!

ETA--2011 monthly subs comparison:
# of January submissions: 5
# of February submissions: 8
# of March submissions: 1
# of April submissions: 38 (19 = flash/short story subs, 19 poem/hint-fic subs)

No comments: