After a successful NaNoWriMo and currently holding two books with publishing potential in my hands, I feel like it's time to really get serious. Not that I wasn't before, but I am a queen of procrastination.
With a new year coming up, it just feels like the time is coming where I need to put my foot on the gas; I'm not getting any younger, and I'm feeling less and less accomplished as the time goes by, and more and more like I'm just wasting my time here on earth.
Two desires struck me recently: the first, a few weeks ago, is to start volunteering. I have time, and a big heart and I feel like I should be sharing myself in a non-profit pursuit. I want to work with educating kids or in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program or something like that. I just want to help someone. The second desire: to read way more than I have been. I had challenged myself in 2006 to 100 books and that didn't quite work out as I had planned but I had still read a lot more books than I would have otherwise. I realize a problem is introduced when I make lists: I read more when I just pick up random books instead of making carefully planned out lists of worthy material. So I think I should approach this new task the same as before: go outside of my box and read books I normally wouldn't "waste my time" on. Just hit up books from all over. My elite tastes hamper me a bit.
So because this is December and New Year's Day is coming up soon, I suppose these desires will turn into cliched new year's resolutions. But that's not too much of a bad thing I guess. My list is shaping up to be pretty standard (when compared to the average list), but for me, in a lot of ways, necessary:
- Exercise more
- Eat healthier
- Volunteer
- Read at least 50 books
And oh yeah- keep writing.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment