Well, that's not really the question. The question is: where the hell did the writer in me go? I think I have had this experience before, where I felt utterly devoid of the desire to read or write and it disturbs me because both have been integral aspects of me for so long. Since I can't remember exactly when this happened before (although I'm pretty sure I blogged about it and thus, it's not difficult to find out), I will talk about possible reasons why I feel this way this time around.
First of all, I'm "out of practice." Second of all, I am consumed with other parts and paths of my life. I have focused so much of my energy on working on an acting career, and recently, trying to figure out ways to cushion a move I'm going to make (yes, I'm changing locations again), that there seems to hardly be enough energy left over to work on writing, or to feel like I deserve the luxury of relaxing with a book.
I don't want to think for a second of the third possibility which indicates that it is probably not the most likely: that this person for whom reading and writing were integral parts of their happiness and being, is "giving up the ghost" in a sense and leaving me; that I am growing to not care for either. It seems absolutely ludicrous that this could be the case for me since I barely know how to define myself without these aspects, but it is how I currently feel.
I feel at a loss for inspiration; a complete lack of desire to engage in the aforementioned activities. I feel like I lack the information and resources to come up with and see to fruition a good story. I feel like an incomplete dummy; the only words I've been coming up with are for my e-Scrabble game (my current pastime obsession).
I know I just have to start and words will probably flow, and I know starting could at times be the hardest part (finishing being its competition), so that's what I'm going to work on now to try to re-awaken this part of me because I believe it's only sleeping.
Push come to shove, I'll have to use my tried and true jump-start device: the ABC prompt. With this, one writes a story of 26 letters. You guessed it: with the very first letter of each sentence going in alphabetical order. Works like a charm every time.
But first, I will go through my files of ideas, beginnings, brainstorms etc. and see if anything gets me going. Because the writer in me isn't dead; I know it. I'm still blogging aren't I?
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment