Monday, March 26, 2007

Fin!

Ok, I finally went back to the story and cleaned up the ending chapters. I did it after reading "The Fountainhead" (I've found that reading helps send me back into writing mode). Besides the problems mentioned before though, I remembered another problem I had with finishing this book: other stories kept bugging me! There's this big project I have planned and little by little, ideas and pieces of it come to me and it's almost demanding that I concentrate on building it, abandoning all other writing tasks.

But a funny thing also happened recently: I miss my first story. You know, the one I wrote and hid away because of its atrociousness. It started nudging me. It wants me to come back to it. It wants me to finish it (had the same problem with the ending chapters). So maybe it won't turn out to be a trunk novel after all? I don't know.

In the meantime, I'm okay with what I cleaned up on the one I was working on, but there are still some unfinished parts. Because I want to expand it beyond the 60k, I came up with a few incidences that I currently have in pieces. I need to iron those out and then perhaps I will finally feel happy about it and feel that it's complete.

Another thing: beta 2 said she loved my story (I mentioned that the important thing was that she liked it and she corrected me)! She didn't get to read the end and it would be too much for me to ask her to reread it in order to get back into it so that she could read the end so I ended up just summarizing the end for her. Oh well. I think beta 1 won't get to finish either- she's on maternity leave and looks like she plans to just hold on to the last set of chapters she got for whatever reason, but it doesn't matter- they both expressed a great appreciation/affection for the work, and neither of them are the type of person who just lies to please people which is why I picked them; I knew they'd be brutally honest if they had to be.

So anyway, I'm still almost finished with this project I guess. A little further along but essentially in the same place. I think I will sit myself down and finish it this week. I feel lonely after finishing "The Fountainhead;" I either need to read or write to counteract it.

No comments: