Saturday, February 17, 2007

Beta Progress

So I've been sending the book to my betas in parts and here's how it's going:

My two betas got and were done with chapters 1-6 at around the same time and therefore received chapters 7-10 at the same time. But one has far surpassed the other- Beta 1 is still on 7-10 while Beta 2 has finished that group, received 11-15 (Monday), finished that group in one day (in one sitting over a very short period of time), demanded more, and has received 16-19 (Wednesday). Now I'm struggling to hurry up and polish up the next set, especially since I wanted 16-23 to be read as one since it's part of the flow. But that's ok- I can't control how readers read it and break it up anyway.

Both Betas really liked 1-6, but I guess 7-10 is a bit dull since one is still on it while the other said that it's not "as hype" as the first group but it was understandable. Still, she felt she was getting to know the characters instead of just puzzling over my "hook" event. As for chapters 11-15, Beta 2 said: "I love it!!" So I guess the pattern I've created so far is: intense!-lull-intense!-lull. And yup, thinking about it now, this next set is intense!, leading up to the climax. Then it's the lull again- tying up everything in a neat bow. So basically, I'm almost finished! And one of my readers is right along with me!
I'm still excited about this although I've calmed down a bit and not liking the pressure to finish up as much as before. I really wish I was able to fully finish it before starting the betas on it which is what I was technically supposed to do I guess, but I needed the motivation. And damn, it's been working!

No comments: